Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Right now I am listening to Aesop Rock at work. I have the volume on my speakers dialed down very quiet, so he is sort of rhythmically whispering to me.

I realized today that I have stacks of work around me. As I recently have been plugging away learning new HTML, or posting photos on the interweb, work continues to flow into my "in" box, but very little, ends up, is flowing out.

I feel like I should also tell my boss that the Atkins diet won't work if you fuck it up and eat carbs....You just end up eating a very unbalanced diet that is high in fat. Should I tell her that?

I wrote to T. Paul today, He asked for a story:

I've been living here in Baltimore, and working for Hopkins in fundraising for Medicine. My office is downtown at Lexington and Charles, and I live in Charles Village. It takes about 25 mins on the bus to go home. On Wednesdays, I tutor a ten-year-old girl, named Chelsey, at the Hampden Family Center.

A few weeks ago, I was running out of work, trying not to miss the earliest bus home. (it's always a race to get home and get to tutoring on time.) This week was particularly rushed, my car was parked blocks away, and I literally ran from the bus to my car and peeled away to the Family Center.

When I got there, Chelsey didn't feel like working. She had "no homework" and didn't bring her school bag and I'm sure you understand the whole routine of "I don't wanna, I don't feel like it."

I was getting kind of upset, because I was so frazzled and usually, Chelsey and I work well together. All of this seemed out of character. She is a smart girl and I'm sure could tell I was getting frustrated, but for whatever reason she didn't like someone trying to make her do her school work that day.

In the last twenty minutes of tutoring, I somehow convinced her to write a story.

She didn't want to:

"I had a dream about my tutor, Miss Jessica. At the beginning she was a loser. That means she was a geek. In the middle she meets some boy and he has big old eyes, but I wasn't looking at the color. He also had big feet and thousands of tattoos. He had blond hair with streaks in it. Together they went to the mall. They had lunch. But Both of them were still geeks. At the end, he proposed.
She said, "No, Let me think about it" and then she looked down at her long toe and she said, "Since you're ugly, I guess my feet can be too and I don't have to be embarrassed to marry you. So I will say Yes."
Jessica wore an ugly gown, which was peach, black and red. And the boy, he wore a bright yellow suit that was more yellow than the sun. They lived happily ever after and had ugly kids. THE END"

Astonished, afterwards I said, "Oh chelsey, do you really think I'm ugly?!?" and she responded " No, don't be stupid.....It's fiction."

Last week, Chelsey invited me to her ballet recital.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home