Friday, January 21, 2005

belligerent larvae

I think it's too cold to go out and get something to eat for lunch. I wonder at what point my hunger will drive me outside. I wonder if I can make it until 5 and just drive home. Man, I wish I packed my lunch today. Working down by the harbor is really nice, but it's only really nice when it isn't windy at all and it's springtime. The winds kick up around here to these gale forces, right now it's so fierce it could freeze your eyeballs open. It's like walking on the beach, but only if the beach was some sort of ice beach.

I've started taking daily photos of myself on this little sidebar here. Part of the reason behind it is my fascination with my new camera cellphone and another reason behind it is my megalomania. I'm sure you understand.

As you can see, today, I wore glasses to the office. I figured that my eyes needed a chance to breathe a little.

Yesterday, I didn't take a photo because I was too busy thinking about getting ready to give this talk at Goucher. It's a shame about that, because I looked really nice yesterday. Make-up and cashmere I was lady 110%. The speech went really well. Three of the deans showed up. The question/answer section was a little awkward because how exactly am I supposed to answer questions about "life choices." But I guess the goal of the whole event was to show that there are different stages of knowing exactly what you are supposed to do with your life. I was there to illustrate the larvae stage.

Afterwards there was a small group of students who all came up to me to thank me. And all I could think is how polite they were. I mean, Did I think to thank speakers? That was so polite. geez. Directly after that, in a bout of nostalgia I went to the school store and bought a sweatshirt. There are still a few people there who I know, which is obviously testimony to the fact that it really hasn't been that long since I was there (Too little time to miss it? Oh well. I do.)

I wonder if they still have Ms. Pacman upstairs. I should have gone to try to find it.

Are you looking forward to all this snow?

I'm yours.





3 Comments:

Blogger Donald said...

By all accounts, Jessica, you're a brilliant and charming woman who'd be well worth listening to speak on almost any topic. But the idea that anybody can give a speech on "life choices" is pretty silly and laughable. In fact, it's this kind of thing that goes to show how silly and laughable the administrations at most liberal arts colleges really are.

Life choices? What does that even mean? I'm sure we all make important choices over the courses of our lives, but I'm pretty sure we only understand their importance a decade or so after they've been passed and lived through.

3:47 PM  
Blogger j-e-s-s-i-c-a said...

Well, thank you, Donald. I guess the idea behind the conversation was sort of to talk about the kind of career path I was interested in starting to form and how goucher had impact on that. Which, I think it did have an impact on what I want to do out there in the real world.
The question sort of became "how did my veiw of a well-lived life change after 4 years of going to Goucher?" They also had a 1983 graduate there to kind of compare how we felt about the topic.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

And, yes, I am just jealous that the people at Goucher never liked me.

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home