Monday, March 14, 2005

Mommy and Me

The first part of the day was a mess. Okay, most of the day was a mess. I was on my way to the Philadelphia area and I drove as far as Havre de Grace before I realized I didn't have my ATM card to get cash for the toll. I'm such a dummy! geez! Mr. Jman, ends up being a spectacular human being who drives almost an hour away just to bring it to me. Isn't he terrific? I rewarded him with a meat breakfast with two sides of meat at the Waffle House. I've never been to a waffle house and apparently they started in Athens Georgia so Jason knew exactly what "smothered" and "scattered" meant and got a little excited about Bert's Chili.It was really a treat for both of us. Woo-wee.

I continued on the road after that, to meet my mother. She was at the library when I got there and wondering around aimlessly, I'm sure. This week was her 53rd birthday and I tried to make it home for a special visit because I didn't get to see her on the actual day. She was a mess when I finally caught up with her. She hadn't eaten all day and she was confused and sad. When I asked her how she was, it all came out - She was miserable. She screamed for the next 4 hours straight while I drove her around our little town rather aimlessly. "you're so late, it's almost four o'clock, the whole day's wasted." she said. On and on she went about how my brothers don't visit her but they visit their wives families and how she has been hurt so much in her life, the last people she expected to hurt her were her own children. "It's not fair," she shouted over and over again. I'm done with you guys, I'm done with all of you. That's it. "Okay, I'm done with just the boys."

And this time I did something a little different. I didn't take it too personally. Instead, just let her vent, because it was her birthday and that's what she wanted to do. I realized that no one really has come to visit her and she was getting a little stir crazy. She hasn't been able to talk out her feelings like she usually does because no one has been around to listen. She often times gets on the brink and no one can really pull her back.

We stopped at a red light

"do you want a drink or something?" After four hours of me being quiet, this is all I could think to say. But it was perfect and made her laugh and laugh...And in the end apologize and explain that she was just really upset. And she meant to tell me that I looked like I lost weight. Isn't that funny?? Somewhere in her insane rant about how she's a loser and everyone treats her like dirt, she thought, "I should make note that jessi looks skinnier in her jeans, I'll tell her when I'm sane." haha. What a riot.

We ended up going to target at 8pm so I could buy her the DVD player she wanted from me for her birthday. It was the cheapest one there, only $35, but she wouldn't let me do an upgrade. She said she looked at all of them and that was exactly the one she wanted. "The HiTech brand one? Are you sure?" And she was sure. So I got some coconut cups and a shaker to make her favorite drink: Tom Collins. At the grocery store I got some paper umbrellas and pistachios and just decided to have a festive little party.

At the library that day, she wasn't wandering aimlessly exactly, because she did get DVD's for her brand new "HiTech" DVD player. I had to give her a lesson on what a DVD was, and how it worked. She was really excited that there was an open/shut button on the remote. It's adorable when someone asks you how do you know what side to put face down on the DVD ~ is it always the shiny side? God, she's cute. Anyway, we got into our PJs and snuggled in to watch a suspense/mystery movie with our sweet, sweet, Tom Collins in our coconuts.

this is us being adorable.

She was drunk after one coconut(she kept calling them "sneaky") and fell asleep quite possibly at the very climax of the suspense movie when the music is the loudest. Then, she woke me up at 2 am and demanded that I rewind it because she coudn't figure out how to work the remote. haha. She really is amazing.

In the end, everything worked out. We ended up having a fantastic time after all! In the morning she woke me up with pistachios and sliced apples for breakfast as we watch the special features on an ingmar bergman movie. Who gets to eat pistachios and apple slices for breakfast?

It was awesome!

I hope you're awesome, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home