Friday, August 26, 2005

"I'll always be your sugar"



Yesterday I got a chance to tour DOMINO sugar. Built in 1922, the refinery on the harbor has brought in pure sugar cane from nearly 50 countries and washed, dried, heated, cooled and packaged nearly 400,000 tons of sugar a year.


This mound of raw, relatively impure sugar was taller than most buildings. It smelled delicious. In this huge room full of sugar mountains I really wanted to go skiing.

Oh, why was I on the tour? I was on a corporate tour. I was the only one there to represent our little non-profit so we could show our support of Maryland Business. I ended up rubbing elbows with executives of M&T Bank and somehow hearing about their childhood and telling them Goucher history. Bankers love history.

In our business suits, we had to wear a hairnet, earplugs, a hard hat and goggles. Maybe we bonded because we looked like idiots. I was glad we had something though. It was a little scary to be on a corporate adventure like this all on my own. Luckily I was good at making dorky jokes and taking photos of myself in front of them.


This is what one of the machines looked like that filled the 5lb bags.

I know, I know, it's going too fast to even see -- don't stick your finger in there.

Domino owns the largest neon sign on the east coast.

And what's the most important thing is that you love that sign. Sometimes you see it and sigh because you think how pretty it is when it reflects orange onto the water and you say to yourself "God, I love Baltimore."

Ahhh...


In the end, I learned all about how sugar is processed AND I got a fancy keychain.

This is amazing. My new job totally rules.

P.S. Afterwards, I was already in Locust Point, so I got crabs by myself at 11:30 in the morning before going back to work. I was hte only person in the resturant and I was still wearing a business suit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Flint said...

I Love You! ^-^

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home