thursday. friday. saturday. sunday.
Friday, was quiet, with Chinese food, phone off the hook and a long bath.
On Saturday, I went to Clipper City Brewery and took a tour. This was a free tour and, to my delight, free tours also include free beer. My favorite, by far, is McHenery, named after our favorite star-spangled banner fort. It is smooth The brewery was awesome. I had beer in my tummy and hops in my pockets when I left there. The one lesson I learned, above all, was to never drink beer out of a bottle. However, I always drink beer out of bottles. If you are a connoisseur, you might like to know that you should at least wipe the lip before you drink. I could go into detail about how the bottling technique of all breweries makes the first sip tinny if you don't wipe the lip of the bottle before drinking - or you could just take my word for it.
On Sunday, I went to the Maryland Historical Society Museum. Now, if you know me, you know I love Baltimore/Maryland history - so I obviously don't mean to diss this place. Truth be known, though, I left there feeling like I really only learned stuff about the rich people who owned land or buildings or fancy furniture and silver. I get tired of portraits of rich people that stand as our "history." I loved seeing the craftmanship of some of Maryland's fancy furniture, it was antique's roadshow had an extreme edition. But, there is something sad about this ostentatious, bold design that seems a little depressing when you think about the cold and hungry people who also lived in Maryland and didn't have things carved out of mahogany. More so, it sort of is depressing to think that we built this huge museum to pay tribute to these towering, fancy pieces, when there are cold and hungry people right now. It made me think a lot "is this history?" or was this museum (and often museums in general) instead some sort of awkward monument to wealth.
Side note: Here's a museum, created by one rich man to document the lives and tools of the working man of early America. It's nice that somebody did it.
After the museum, I built a wheelchair ramp for my back step. This morning, excited to see it completed, I thought how much fun it would be to go down it on roller skates. The ramp was manufactured with a borrowed handsaw, a not-so-powerful power drill/screwdriver and very limited strength and know-how. It's amazing that it was ever completed. And that it looks so pretty!
This morning I woke up at 5:30 to get into work early and finish up some stuff for my newsletter. I feel like my day should be almost over by now...But it isn't even lunchtime yet.
Tonight, an old friend from high school is playing a show at Fletchers. He used to be in a Ska band. Now, he has long hair and a goatee and, from his photos, seems to "rock out." I can't wait to see this spectacle.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home