Thursday, March 02, 2006

"You got some shit on your head"

Tuesday night I went to the Sex Worker's Art Show Tour with Emily at the Creative Alliance. It was all burlesque and other acts performed by individuals in the trade. Yes, the oldest trade there is. The whole event was to bring awareness to sex worker's rights, to see them as complex, artistic individuals who have the right to choose this profession if they so desire. There were some awesome writers and hilarious preformances -- but still, as I could very ably wrap my intellectual mind around sex working (it's a market, women should be allowed to participate in this market if they want to and not get arrested because it's deemed 'wrong' by society, etc. etc.) but somehow my emotional self couldn't come to terms with it. If my best friend came to me to tell me that she decided to turn a couple of tricks because the money was good - I'd have a really hard time with it. Besides trying to imagine Jeanne in 6" stilletos, I guess I am a woman who thinks that other women are worth more than selling sex for money. Feminist theory really varies on this concept. I don't think for sure I've decided my stance on sex work - mostly because everyone's story is different and it's really not my decision to make at all, for others. I was really glad to go to the show and have a chance to think about all these things that are pretty easy to forget about most of the time.

Yesterday I went to tutoring where my wednesday kid learned what adjectives were. I was so proud of her that I practically showered her in seashells. She wrote a story about a "a nice girl named Jessica who decided to plant a flower in her neighborhood but didn't know how to grow one." - because, apparently, Jessica is stupid. hahaha.

After tutoring I went to church. I was a couple minutes late, but snuck in during the first reading. What? church? you're so confused! Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, and as Virginia knows, it is my favorite day to go to mass. The priest gave a pretty disjointed homily, where I'm pretty sure that he said: "heaven isn't like disneyland." I had to bury my face in my folded hands not to smile to myself. This priest gave the entire history of ash wednesday, mardi gras, and carnival including translations and timelines. I sort of loved it.

I'm always surprised when I go back to church how easy it is to remember when to stand up and sit down. I wasn't from one of those families that ever went every Sunday, so it's still amazing to me that I remember it.

The man next to me, across the isle sure remembered mass. He had *my favorite* habit of reciting the priest's lines along with him as he's preparing communion. So there is this eerie echo: "Thisis iss myy bobody". I mean , we all know the words, but I don't understand what makes someone say them outloud - maybe he always wanted to serve mass, maybe he always wanted to be a priest. awww. A shattered dream he revisits every week. That poor guy!

We all left the steps with smudges on our foreheads.

After church, I met Jenn for dinner and drinks. I really missed Jenn and haven't seen her in a while because she was away at school. She's doing all these amazing things - and believe it or not, was just working with sex workers to help them stay healthy and safe in D.C. It was awesome to talk to her about it, because she had all this new insite and experience that she could share with me since I was just thinking about how i feel about it. I like how smart and capable Jenn L is - I'm really excited to see how she's going to succeed (which is a terrific feeling to have about a friend.)

Anna and her friend Meta showed up afterwards. Meta made Anna this pretty amazing birthday hat. It looked like Anna had to heads. Bob, whose beard is bigger and longer than ever, came and we all had a drink and chit-chat. I love birthday drinks, nearly as much as birthday cake. Anna's friend Meta reminds me of Winnie Cooper a little: real pretty, with long brown hair. Do you think that it was possible that Winnie Cooper was an amazing artist? -that really would have made her character more appealing - mostly because she'd be more like Anna's friend Meta.

We all said goodnight and I walked the few blocks home. Bob passed me on his bike and gave me the middle finger - but I couldn't tell bececause he was wearing mittens.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash Wednesday, I remember that well. Of course, my days of Catholic school and being an altar boy, along with years of CCD, have entrenched masses in me verbatim. I can recite it all, and the only time I tend to go to mass is for the weddings of friends.

And, my other question, you didn't happen to pull the title of your post from that British series "The IT Crowd" did you?

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home