Thursday, April 12, 2007

And this is what I'm thinking of, before I'm even a teacher...

I'm student teaching right now in a public high school in Lower Manhattan. The principal has already talked to me about a job in January. This means I'll need to take summer classes this year to graduate a semester early. I love the school I'm working at and spend a lot of extra time there because I can see the impact I'm making around me on a daily basis. What better? Right? Right.

The school is fantastic. It's one of these huge schools that NYC chopped up into tiny schools, each with their own concentration. My school focuses on the arts. It only started two years ago so we only have ninth and tenth grades so far.

One of the students there, "Shawn" is in the tenth grade and not a student of mine. He spoke to a "miniority student" recruiter in the fall for Goucher, my alma mater. Shawn told me today that he is planning to go down for Explore Goucher Day on the 28th of this month. He said he's planning on taking AMTRAK and seems pretty solid and excited about the idea. Here's the thing: the train is really expensive, he probably hasn't investigated yet how much it's going to be. Shawn doesn't have a family member that will be able to go with him. Is it completely crazy to offer the kid a ride to Baltimore? It's like a 3 1/2 hour drive from here and we'd have to leave really early in the morning to be able to make all of Goucher's activities. But, showing students who are generally interested in my old school around seems like something I'd love to do. Shawn will be one year younger than most of the students there, but he's gotta be if he wants to figure out how to get all of the scholarships he can out of the school. Shouldn't I be doing everything I can to help this kid do that?

Oh here's the other thing. I'm not even a teacher, yet. Legally, I'm not supposed to be alone with the kids even in a room in the school. And driving to Baltimore? THIS seems really unorthodox. I think that if we got permission from his gaurdians the administration would have no problem with him going with me, and I think might even give us some gas money. I can't tell yet if this is wishful thinking or not. There are a few other dancers at the high school who might love to see Goucher, too. What if I end up brining a car load of kids 3 1/2 hours away. What am I getting myself into?

Did I mention that Shawn is the sweetest kid, ever? He's got this huge personality... a real "star".

In my brain I picture leaving at the buttcrack of dawn (WHY DOES GOUCHER START THIS AT 9, ANYWAY??). Shawn could get off at my subway stop and we could leave from here. We'd spend the day exploring the gooch and then try to make an appointment with the woman who he spoke to at the college fair. We could try to get a really good list of things that he needs to do in order to make Goucher a plausible option for him. Then, I thought in the afternoon we could swing by admissions at Towson and Morgan State, just so he got a better idea of other schools in the area, and what schools that aren't Goucher look like, especially a primarily African-American college. You know, make a whole college day of it. After that we could get some food and I could send him home on the Chinatown bus, where he'd only have to spend like $15, instead of the $80 it costs for the train. Our school is really close to where the Chinatown bus lets you out in Manhattan - so he'd be home free - and I'd be in Baltimore for yet another Saturday night, hugging buddies and telling them all about my incredible college exploration day.

A sound plan, No? It seems like there is some reason why this is a terrible idea...but I can't figure out why. IT seems like it makes so much sense. Have I gone completely nuts, internet?

I need to spend weekend in New York sometime soon. I live here. But, I never seem to. Do I?


*UPDATE* I'm not going to drive Shawn to Baltimore. I'm going to work with him instead to set up meetings with people there for a weekend his mother can join him. If it happens to be a weekend that I'm going to Baltimore anyway, then I'll join them for the meetings if they want me there. - It's like a fancy comprimise.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I think it is a good thing that your current school is pretty keen on you being there, and it is even better that you like what you do and where you do it. That said, I would make sure there is something that allows you enough time to complete your degree and get whatever certifications you need.

As for your plan for "Shawn," it certainly sounds like a good one. You could show him your alma mater and a few other options, and I think it is something he would appreciate. Besides, I always found it awesome when my teachers helped me along the journey to and after college.

You should do all you can within reason. The kid sounds like he has a great head on his shoulders, so maybe doing as much as you can while being a bit covert about it is best.

Weekend in New York. Reminds me I need to do that.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's called the Chinatown bus. $30 or there abouts for round trip. But then getting around town from the Baltimore Travel Plaza McD's a bit dicey if he doesn't have other modes of transport.

I would never want to be alone with a student if I were a teacher... you just never know. It's great that you are really enthusiastic about this kid going to Goucher but it's better to temper the reaction. Just the risk adverse lawyer in me speaking... btw, I'm probably moving to San Francisco from Bmore this summer for school.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home