is it only the secretaries who are so negative? most of the time the only casual conversations i get into with people in the work place are administrative assistants. Now, there are the annoyingly perky ones that seem to have fantastic things to say about the recent shitty weather, but for the most part everyone is miserable, all of the time.
"I hate coming down town"
"I hate the bus"
"I hate the sub way"
"I hate the rain"
"I hate ..."
"I hate..."
I can't count how many times a day i hear "i wish i could just go home." "why isn't it friday yet?" etc. etc.
I'm really glad that nothing terrible ever happens to these people. I'm glad they never deal with their car window getting smashed, or illness, or worse. I'm glad they are too self-centered to see people all around them suffering in poverty or lonliness or desperation. They would never recover if they saw that the simple things they complain about, over and over again daily, is simply not that big of a deal.
I wonder if when i giggle in response to them they think it is my akward way of agreeing. I wonder if they think they are clever when they make me giggle ...and think "she knows just what i mean" when the whole time they are talking I can't wait to post to internet about how halirious they are for taking this all so seriously.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home