Friday: At the gym, I was just walking on the tread mill, it ends up that I was actually working out too hard. If I want to loose weight, I need more oxygen in my body and working out anarobically isn’t going to help at all. I loved when my trainer, Brian said that I had to slow down to loose weight. Who hears this? What an awesome day. Brian and I met Wednesday, and he saw me doing a quick little walk on Friday, he came over when I was just about done, and on my cool down.
“How are you doing?” he asked, nodding intensely, making direct eye contact.
“I’m doing well. I’m keeping my heart rate around 130.” We both nod and it is silent for a moment until I add awkwardly, “I think I am going to work out in the morning like you suggested.” We both nod again “I’m excited.” I said, and then looked down at my heart rate.
(I have a tendency, that Jeanne pointed out recently, to say really absurd things, like the day I bought the couch from the fat man, I shook his hand and said “ you are a really nice man,” which just made everyone feel uncomfortable. ..so I assume when I blurted out “I’m excited” to Brian, it was strange.)
Brian’s response was even more strange to me. As I was still walking on the treadmill, he climbs up on the side where arm rails are, reached up over them and suddenly hugged me. I was startled as I was walking. My arms folded up in front of me, protectively and then he was gone, so I walked with this confused look on my face until the machine beeped. I don’t think I’ve ever had a motivational-athletic-trainer hug before in my life.
When I was talking about this later to Jeanne and Evan, we realized that he is probably excited because I am one of the only young people at the gym. Evan was saying that I should try to get a lot of free trainer time out of this situation. I should just start sending him emails that say “help, I feel like quitting.” And get free pep talks.
Directly after my workout I got dressed and took the bus home to catch a quick dinner by myself outside of Eddie’s Market, and then catch a cab to Hampden. My boss didn’t come in to work and asked if I could bring her paycheck by her house. (Strange right?? Yes, that is weird, that’s why I’m getting out of here.) After that I walked to Chelsey’s dance recital. She was so adorable. All of the girls were decked out in these elaborate costumes that altered slightly between jazz, tap and ballet. There were lots of girls that where 14 and twice as big as me in lots of directions. They were for the most part, well, awful. There was one tiny little girl, I guess about 4 years old, and she was so cute, because she simply froze when she got up there in her little too-too, she just didn’t move for the entire song. Chelsey looked at her feet and broke into giggles once. But she really knew her moves, it was cute to watch the other girls follow a step behind and two steps behind the music. Her mother showed up for the first time in 6 years. There was some tension and pain when Chelsey saw her, but I was so impressed with how grown up she is, more grown up than her mother, and she knew it. Her grandmother told me that Chelsey is moving ahead to the 5th grade. As I was about to leave, her grandmother asked if I had some of the cake and then hugged me. She gave me one of those sudden unexpected hugs that I recently have become accustomed to.
Friday night, Jason and Jeanne and I went to Frasier’s for a minute where I saw Lori, Yuri’s girlfriend who I decided is my newest friend crush. We exchanged numbers and squealed a little bit. After Frasier’s we of course went on to Katherine’s beach-themed party. I didn’t know it was beach themed, but I happened to have worn the long cotton skirt I wear to the beach, just because. I drank some beers there and realized that I haven’t drank in like a month. Katherine’s house is beautiful, but especially beautiful with the cardboard surfboards they put on the walls for the party. I got to see so many people I missed. I’m going to list them here: Katherine, Nikki, Russell, Michael, Virginia, Chris and Mickey Freeland and Dan Keech (for obvious reasons.), Adam, Dan and Rich( who always get my psyched about summer), Laura Webster (clad in a Marc Jacobs bikini, I might add), Rachel (with delicious chex mix) Thom( who is excited about everything) , Katie (who gets me psyched about the 1920’s, this girl does synchronized swimming.), a bunch of other awesome homies from the gooch and beyond and maybe I was most excited about…Rufus, the reddest of them all. Jeanne, Virginia and I got a ride home with Allyson and her friend who I called dumb on the way home. I guess my inhibitions were a little low. Maybe I should write to her and apologize…but he was being kind of dumb.
Saturday:
Jeanne and I went for a long walk and looked at big houses and big bugs. The cicadas were out, hanging on blades of grass, leaving their shells. It was kind of exciting to see that there is an animal that can do what I have a desire to do very often, to hide underground until I am ready, and then break out of my skin and fly away. It must feel fantastic to escape like that.
When we got back, we sat on our stoop for a long while until I went to Jason’s house to be greeted with this fantastic bouquet of flowers. He even took the roses out of it because I told him once that I didn’t like roses and that I thought they were generic. What a guy. I hung out with Jason for a while and Jeanne went to take a shower, Michael and Russell came by and the five of us went to this place called Tamber’s Nifty Fifties. It is a fifties style Americana restaurant that also serves Indian food. Helena and Jaime were going to meet us soon. I got my favorite food to get there, Chicken Korma and Potato Nan. Afterwards a bunch of us went to see my new apartment, which I was supposed to move into that day, but instead went to the thrift store. We all did. I got a pair of cowboy boot shoes. They’re really weird and awesome. I also got some work clothes that apparently don’t fit well, I found out last night.
After all of this, Jeanne, Brian, Russell, Michael, Jason and I all went to the drive-ins. It was ended up being the cutest triple date. There were three cars and when it started to rain it was raining in the movie. And to answer your question, internet, they do play movies even during thunderstorms.
Sunday:
I went for a long walk by myself. A man laughed at my outfit. I was wearing running sneakers and a skirt, a cut up t-shirt and a sports bra…oh and my new red fanny pack. I thought I looked awesome but apparently this 50 year old dude with a grocery shopping bag thought I looked dumb.
I walked all around and went to Hampden and stopped by Katherine’s new place now that I know where it is and then stopped to get a gallon of water and some OJ and walked it back to my new apartment. Luckily I had saved one Burger King cup because I don’t have any dishes there yet. Just as I was catching my breath Evan called.
He pulled up in a wool cap on a very warm day, a tuft of his curly hair was sticking out of the back of his hat like a short tail of a toy dog. We drank Orange juice out of my BK cup and sat on my porch and caught up a little bit. We met with Jeanne back at the old apt. (which ruled because Evan drove me and I didn’t have to walk back) we got “coffee” which ended up being Evan getting coffee and me and Jeanne eating lunch. Afterwards we cut his hair on our back porch. It was still very big and puffy. Jeanne and I were so pleased with seeing Evan and talked about him as we walked to the art museum. He was such a nice addition to our day! Jeanne and I went the art museum to visit Lori, my new friend crush. She was really busy at work and didn’t have much time to talk to us, but it was really neat to look around at expensive things we probably wouldn’t buy and the shop became much like a museum itself. It ruled to see Lori though. We are totally going to be friends. The wave is about to break.
Believe it or not, it is only like 2:30 at this point. We meet up with Jason, and sit in his air conditioning for a minute. I also borrow his car keys so we can move stuff into our apt. I’m still wearing my very funny outfit. Jeanne and I went home and picked out 5 outfits to wear to work this week, so I could throw the rest of them into suitcases and laundry baskets to move them to my new apt. after I picked out the outfits, we sat and watched a little tv before the packing and moving. I kept falling asleep. I might have even been mid sentence. I laid down and told Jeanne to wake me up in 10 mins. She let me sleep for 30, and when I woke up there was a puddle of drool on my arm.
We moved a bunch of stuff all by ourselves, we threw my long carpet over the fence and beat it with a broom. It still has cat hair in it. Does anyone have a really good vacuum? My vacuum doesn’t work that well. At this point I’m wearing booty shorts and a new t-shirt and my fanny pack and running shoes.
Jason, Jeanne and I went to Holy Frijoles. I put on some jeans, but was still wearing my fanny pack. Corey gave us some food for free and I tried to hug him, but It became less of a hug and more of an awkward I’m-holding-both-of-your-arms, arm touching experience.
So, in a nut shell this weekend really comes down to three things, awkward hugging, fanny packs and things that rule.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home