I wish I could spend a lot of time telling you all about the wonderful weekend I just had but I am extremely busy at work today! Everyone keeps joking around the office how that now that my boss is out for vacation I’m the acting vice president. Do any of them know that I have no clue what I’m doing???
This weekend started off with an incredible crab feast with the lovely Dovely himself. Both of us in crab bibs, cracking crustations with mallots, and trying to race the clock to catch my train…but all the while getting a little drunk on pitchers of beer.
We finished a dozen of them before I headed on Amtrak to Newark, NJ
And here’s something to write a letter about~! My ticket (one way) on the train to NJ/NY was a little over $70. That’s a lot of money. The reason I’m telling you this, internet is that they overbooked the train and there were no seats for one full hour of a two hour trip. You’re right! I know! I should have told them to “shove it.” (Which is quickly becoming my new favorite phrase because of Teresa Heinz Kerry.)I ended up curling up in one of the spaces between the seats and the end of the cabin where they keep extra luggage. The ground was wet because of the air conditioner leaking above me. After Philly I got to have a seat, and I have to tell you, it felt really really good to sit down.
But all of this rigmarole was worth it when Jessica started hugging me before I realized I steped off the train. We took the Path train back to her area of Jersey City and on the way she promptly told me that she bought a 30 pack of beer and baked brownies and cookies. (The cookies were from scratch and delicious.)
On the way to her apt we stopped at what she calls “the hipster bar” some guy kept trying to sell us these shirts he made called “dirty water,” the design was a map of jersey and NYC. And the logo was just the Path symbol turned upside down. He dissed Baltimore pretty hard , so I dissed back on him hard…and told him I’d put a link to his company on my site. I’ll do it. …. He kept saying “I’m from jersey so I don’t have to tip….cause I’m from jersey.” It made me not want to buy shirt that he had anything to do with making. I told him that: “You’re going to have a pretty hard time selling those t-shirts being such a jerk.” But if you want a shirt like these you should totally buy one from this dude.
Jessica and I only stayed for one beer at the bar, we went back to her house, kind of tired from our long days at work and the finish line of a work-week. But we stayed up for a while talking about all the little stuff we missed out on talking about after she moved to “the great city to our north” (Virginia, that was for you: “our friend across the isle.”)
Her apt. is adorable. She has this fantastic chair, hardwood floors, new appliances in a sunny kitchen and my favorite of all: She has a “garden” on her desk, which is comprised of photos of flowers on tins and postcards. Her room is small but her bed is soft and we slept well.
The next morning we made French toast, showered and left for the big city. We were in search of bootleg DVDs, which are actually more difficult to find that you can imagine (when you are looking for them, that is.) we started our day at 11 am and ended our day around 7pm. We accomplished going to Hells Kitchen markets and buying costume jewelry. Getting a chance to see union square and pee in the virgin mega store, I got to see Adrian working in time square at the swatch store, we went to china town and little italy. The events of the day were: finding DVD’s in china town, getting sunburned, getting a belt buckle that is a miniature spinning rim with bling, finding our way around and most of all having a fantastic time.
Needless to say, we were exhausted when we got home. J Gunns made manicotti (have I mentioned yet what an awesome hostess she was?) and then we took a nap in the A/C until her friends came over.
I got to meet 2 of Gunnell’s buddies from Point Pleasant: Melissa and Sarah. They were both really fun we went to a show at Sin-e in the city where we danced and drank Pabst blue ribbon. (Apparently, Rjyan was there just two days before.I was sorry that I didn’t get to see him.) When we returned home there was a race to the bathroom to empty our bladders, which were tender and sore due to the sways and grumbles of the public transportation on our drunken trek home. I thought I was going to pee myself.
The next day, we lounged and ate peanut butter cup ice cream while we saw about ten minutes of a very poorly recorded Manchurian Candidate. Still in our PJ’s we napped until it was time for me to go to my big dinner on 5th ave. I got pretty and packed up my stuff and Jessica sent me off on the Path Train.
I made my way into the big city fairly well by myself…about 6 pm I come up to the restaurant with my head staring up like a tourist, trying to read street signs when what catches my eye: but a couple right out of 1927. Albert was wearing tails and a long tie as he smoked his pipe. And he was perfect compliment to the birthday girl: Adrian’s black bob, low waisted dress and fur were both elegant and awesome. So the three of us celebrated with an 11 dollar margarita.
Dinner was intimate, Bob and Virginia finally made it after being stuck in traffic for nearly 6 hours. I got to meet friend of adrians (crap! I forget his name….trey? or Trev?…shit…..anyway he was great) and most of all I got a chance to meet Albert. Who was dashing and funny and well suited to my Adrian.
I would put in a paragraph all about what I thought about Adrian after not seeing her for all this time…but the truth is: it was exactly the same….which is, of course the best compliment I could give her.
The six of us had a fantastic dinner at the famous Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill and shared a sampler of desserts that was more impressive than any of us could have imagined. (Except for the blueberry one, which we all admitted, was not as good as the rest. We also decided that the blueberry dessert was probably depressed about not being as delicious as his plate-mates.)
After dessert I darted to Penn Station in a cab to catch my Amtrak home. I had a good conversation on the way there…but couldn’t wait to crawl into bed with Jman, who…I might add, had cleaned my apt a little and was still waiting up to see me after our long weekend apart. ….sigh.
AHHHH. Awesome times a gajillian-kazillion.
(*can you believe that was the short version?)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home