Wednesday, January 19, 2005

"What does it mean to live a well-lived life?"

Just to catch you up, I've gained a new perspective about my sans glasses look. Thanks to Jeanne and Sarah and Josh: Most people when they take their glasses off astound people and are asked to put them back on. People sort of get used to the idea that your face has metal attached to it. Your glasses become an attribute. Taking off your glasses becomes like taking off your nose. But, ah, not for me. Apparently no one noticed. Maybe because they didn't notice them in the first place...SO maybe I'm not so invisible after all.

But the issue at hand today is that I'm speaking at Goucher tomorrow. They asked me to come in, along with a grad from 1983 to talk to Freshman for "reorientation." I just found out this morning that the purpose of the talk is really to answer the question for yourself "what does it mean to live a well-lived life?" Geez, why am I giving this speech? I guess I'm a recent grad that they know has a job and is not really afraid to talk in front of 100 students. I'm going first, and after me this woman is speaking who spent her life in the Theater. WE will each speak for 15 mins and then do a question and answer forum for the remainder of the hour and half.

Do I know what I'm going to say yet? No, not really. I have some main topics I think. But now that they told me this whole "well-lived" thing, I think I'm going to go back and tailor it a little. (I say tailor it a little, as though I have worked on it...)But, I'll work on it, I promise...But not too much, because I want it to come out honestly and freely. And sometimes I say some of my most brilliant things when I have no index cards in my pockets.

The only think I'm really worried about is that the freshman are going to think I'm dorky. (isn't that terrible?) I know that last semester all of them had to read the speech I gave at graduation. (which I think is really embarrassing.) So they all think I'm this big dork already, and then, I'll be coming in my work clothes, sealing the deal. But wouldn't it be worse if I tried to dress "cool"? haha. It's like how my brother is still trying to convince me that he has a "cool" outfit he could wear out to a slotracer show. His "cool" outfit would embarrass me much more than his 1992 sweaters. The only thing is that Joe isn't cool, but I look cool sometimes. I think. Sarah says so. I have a pair of red high heels and a sweater that falls off my shoulder! ....Man, I'm doomed.

Oh speaking of work clothes. This morning Jessica G. emailed me to tell me that she was wearing a business suit. I love Jessica G.

What do you think it means to live a well-lived life?

I love you.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love jessica M.

-jessica G.

12:53 PM  
Blogger frank said...

hey hon. you like nice without glasses. congrats.

a well lived life? i don't know. but i do wish i was eighteen and starting college again :)

2:16 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Goucher contacted me a little while ago about speaking to Freshmen too. They asked me to come in and describe to them what it's like to be a "huge, crushing failure." I turned them down.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home