Thursday, April 14, 2005

Holy Mary, I think I made a terrible mistake

I don't exactly know how our conversation tumbled itself into this, but somehow, I promised my mother that I'd say a novena for her if she went to the doctor for counseling that she desperately needs. She made me promise to do 6 novenas(3 for her intentions and 3 in thanksgiving.) It's all such an odd request, but if this is going to make her get therapy - then sure, I'll do it. I have no control over the situation as it stands; you can't make someone get medication - but if saying this weird little prayer-pact will make her agree to go, sure! It sounds just insane enough to be something she'd actually follow through with. I've been struggling with dealing with her intense drama for years and 54 days of prayer doesn't seem that bad of a trade off. What am I saying - 54 days of prayer! That's longer than lent. She made me promise that I'd go to church on Sunday for every week that she sees a doctor. I agree - okay, okay whatever I sort of know that she'll never go and if she did - it would be worth it - sort of. Isn't this all so weird? She thinks she is Jesus' clever trickster and that, in the end, we are both doing something that we don't want to do for the other person, and in that way it's a positive thing, I guess. At the end of the conversation she laughs and keeps laughing and says, So you're going to church every week and saying the rosary EVERY day for 2 months - who's the crazy one NOW?!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I can't even remember how to do that ...

10:22 PM  
Blogger j-e-s-s-i-c-a said...

shit - me either!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home