It's nice to be home. My friend Emily who was staying at my place cleaned my whole apartment and everything is shiny and put away. The bed is made and everyone had off from work yesterday for the fourth of July. Jaime called me at 10am, both of us surprised we were awake decided to go to the visionary pet parade. Where else in the world, besides here in Baltimore is there a pet and owner look-alike contest or do people dress up their turtles in red, white and blue? Mahatma Bun Bun won this years grand prize with talent for spreading peace across mankind. Not bad for a bunny. There were mostly dogs at this parade, mostly dogs in funny hats or dresses, and very few cats, bunnies and turtles. I have to say it really changed my whole perception of pets in general. between this and reading timbuktu, I think I might really like dogs. I mean, I still don't want one - but I'd chill out with one for a while. Maybe, if he was down with it, we'd even be wearing matching hats.
During the day we drank rum and played board games on my front porch as kids set off firecrackers on every block in hampden. The pop-pow, pop-pow echoed in waves down the curved front of colorful row homes and was diluted by the time it reached us on the little porch. The shocking noise was muffled and diffused by all of the clattering life around and even fireworks seemed peaceful. It was probably just that rabbit's lingering effect on us.
There was a cook-out with a baby pool and I have to say, no body does these better than us, Baltimore. We are the best at lounging with beer and wrestling and laughing so loud it makes the neighbors jealous. Also the burgers were delicious.
We somehow skirted around the traffic downtown and found a perfect little dock near canton to watch the fireworks with all of the lovely ladies from the barbecue. The boats pulled their horns during the clattering applause. The blaring, long notes, pulled out like taffy were pleasing to us as the last cloud of finale smoke started to settle down over the harbor.
We finished with s'mores on the grill.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home