Monday, August 09, 2004

brett jones leaves: baltimore weeps


1903 goucher basketball team

Yesterday I got a rock thrown at me by a ten year old. It hit me. His name was Steve. We didn’t think it was that terrible when he called us names on the basketball court. “Carpet muncher” was even a pretty funny one. How often does a ten year old ask you if “you’ve ever had black in you….” Leading up to the all-so-familiar punch line. There was five of us on the court yesterday. We brought down my basketball that I just found the needle to pump up. We were called gay, fat, ugly, whores and everything in between. We sort of just laughed it off cause this kid was so tiny …and so aggressive. He was Just a show off, maybe.

In the end, he stole our ball, and when we got it back, something in him really believed that we took something from him. Something in him really believed that this basketball became HIS as soon as he stole it, and that we deserved to be punished. He wasn’t frightened of any of us…and even I towered over him. He started throwing rocks and chasing after us. He came up on my front porch and tried to force himself into my house. We had to call the police.

And all I kept thinking was “this poor kid”…I mean don’t get me wrong, he’s a bastard, but the truth is that someone taught him that this was an acceptable way to act, and that if you were aggressive enough you would get what you wanted. I felt like a prick for most of the night after that. Should I have just let him keep my basketball?

It’s funny that the weekend sort of came to a culmination at this event with little angry Steve….because I think it was one of the most fun weekends that I’ve ever had in Baltimore. Yes, I know, you read ten blogs today about how much we all love Brett Jones….well, get used to it:

Brett Jones is a old friend of Jason’s from “ATL” , Atlanta, Georgia. (I don’t think I heard him say the word “Atlanta” once on his trip…only “ATL”.) He is the type of guy that capitalizes on sunglasses to make emphasis on a joke, totally aware of what a jerk it makes him look like. Brett Jones’ style of comedy is….well…being a cock.

I found out that Beemer, Beej, BJ is awesome at the following things: adopting new crab-eating techniques. He is not afraid to be adventurous with crustaceans, firing a BB gun and winning prizes at the carnival, trivia, fixing things, making girls swoon, drinking beer, grilling, looking good, and singing “CREED” songs at karaoke. Brett is extremely well versed in comedic sexual innuendo….these jokes mostly revolve around Jason, because these two boys love each other.

You should tell Brett to move here.

(By the way, right now I’m at work and snacking. These hard pretzels really sound loud when I chew them. It’s so hard to be quiet)


So, lastly, the other stuff that happened this weekend, was to hang out a lot with Virginia, watched an awesome new surf movie in the theater. I got a chance to see a bunch of people who i've been meaning to see, drink an unreasonable amount of beer, Have fantastic corn on the cob on my front porch, Played some intense pranks and had a really good time.

I also got over my cold! Do you think it was the beer?



oh yeah, and russell took this picture a while ago on his phone when i was skateboarding:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't understand why i have to post anonymously, i want you to know it's me. it's me, jessica. i just wanted you to know that i think steve is a jerk and you definetly should not have given him the ball. don't let that little twerp push you around. if steve ever bothers you again, call me. i am well contected and i can "take care of steve", if you know what i mean.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home