This weekend I started off by getting crabs with my beau after work. We haven't been out just the two of us in a while, so it was nice to have a 2 1/2 hour dinner that involved smashing things and drinking beer. I developed a new technique of crab eating. I never thought I'd be one of those people that spent a lot of time pulling the meat out and making a pile and saving it all until I'm finished the work. I can't do it with pistachios either. I'm much more into the immediate gratification of all of it and people who did things like this confused me. "one of those people who..." I'd say. But, on Friday I found out that I wasn't who I thought I was after all.
After crabs we went back to my place to watch the debates. Kerry totally tore him a new one. It was great. We smothered each other in high fives.
Saturday my long lost Sarah Raz came into town. I don't know why I expected her to still be dirty from living out in the woods but I expected her to have her hair in dread locks and be wearing something that was obviously muddy. As though she had became a woodswoman and could never change back after living out there for 5 months. She looked pretty as ever in a little striped shirt. She giggled and smiled a lot while shaking her head with bashful emphasis they way she always did. Adorable.
She showed me pictures of these stairs she built out of 100lbs rocks. Probably more than 100lbs. I don't know, the sort of rocks you look at and you think "oh that rock isn't going anywhere. That's a big rock" those are the kinds of things that she moved into place to keep the trail where it is supposed to be. My friend Sarah keeps things from eroding. What an amazing lady.
Rachel came down too. She smokes cigarettes with regal demure and orders crown royal to sip on when all of us get beer. We just spent the weekend together so it was nice that all of those promises: "yes, yes, keep in touch. Visit more. Yes. Yes." We're keeping them. We met them at virginia's restaurant and drank some beers waiting for her to get off work so she could come with us to the talking head to see slotracer.
I would give you a description of the show, but it would turn into me endorsing them because I think their fantastic. Especially with their new, broader thicker sound. But you hear me talk about Jason all the time and that little bugger doesn't even refer to me by name in his journal. I'm "the lady." So, instead of gushing over how much I like that guy and thought his new band was awesome and how well they did, let's just to clear this up. The lady endorses slotracer. You should go see them, we all had a fantastic time.
Sunday I slept until noon. I can't remember the last time I've done that. It was fantastic. I spent the remainder of the day lounging and doing laundry until it was time to leave to go to D.C.
FYI: Mapquest doesn't work for Directions inside of Washington D.C. There are so many streets with the same name, there actually is the same address in more than one place...As the Jayman and I discover....
We went to see Brian Wilson of beach boys fame play a sold out theatre and go a little lost. We made a great team getting out of a bind and getting to the show on time. I always think you can tell a lot about a person by getting lost in Washington D.C. with them.
Okay, Brian Wilson's new album is called SMILE and it doesn't sound like anything I've heard before. (but, I guess I haven't really heard that much, to be fair) It is this swelling tribute to Americana. You know the way you feel when you walk into one of those junk jobs in Hampden and you start looking at all of that crap, cupie dolls, and lunch boxes, and plastic plates with patron saints on them? At first it is just amusing, but if you are in one of those little shops long enough you start to feel a little overwhelmed that all of this is buzzing on all around you that it floated up and died and stayed half-broken on a dusty shelf somewhere cluttered with others. If someone could put all of those feelings into one album it would be Brian Wilson's SMILE.
On the way to the concert Jason told me this compelling and exciting life story of Brian Wilson. You know someone is serious when they know the names of these other managers and doctors etc. etc. You know someone is serious when they start off the story with "Brian Wilson's great grandfather..."
I knew it was serious when the show was just starting and the curtain rose to spotlight the band and Jason told me which one was Brian and then waved. Waved from the back of the theater. As though Brian would see him and say " Oh hey Jason! Glad you made it." God, that Jayman is great. But he giggled at me when I jumped up and started clapping and dancing like the 50 year olds around me. There were 11 people in the band, not counting the strings and horns, which would bring it to 19 or so. Bonnie Rait and Jackson Brown came out for the last songs because they were watching from the audience earlier when we spotted them. I'd never seen Jackson Brown before. After the show we walked right past Mike Mills the drummer from REM. Apparently. Jason noticed him because apparently they had gone to a bunch of the same shows back in Athens GA.
We left buzzing with excitement and well...Not to be mushy, but love too. We were ecstatic. We took the wrong way home but finally got back.
I was thankful to climb into my clean sheets and look at my room everything folded and put away.
Today I'm running on a few hours of sleep, but it was totally worth it. Sigh.

1 Comments:
oh and i also spelled used the wrong they're
Post a Comment
<< Home