Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Some days I think I will starve to death before lunch.

yesterday I worked really hard at work. I got a little dose of negative criticism and it really did engage me to work much harder than I had in the past. Did you ever hear those stories about people acquiring super-human strength in life or death situations? Well, it's just like that.

On Monday after work my bosses gave me a talking to about not accomplishing everything that I needed to get done. Now, I know you see me goofing off and posting on this blog, but believe it or not, I actually get an unreasonable amount of work done too, especially for never being trained and essentially doing two jobs. The bosses decided to wait two weeks before processing the paperwork to hire me. A. Because they still don't have the money and B. They are worried that I won't be able to do the job.

I won't be able to do the job because to save money I'm doing two people's jobs and it is a little impossible.

See, After I went away to that writing festival the weekend before last. I stopped acting like I was two people and that it was okay for me to stay until seven and not take lunch. This isn't okay. Sarah and I were talking about it last night and she pointed out to me that the way I was living only gave me 4 hours a day to actually live. So I started making things a little easier on myself here. I left at five when I had tutoring and tried to leave no later than 5:30 other days. I took lunch (even for just half an hour) and I stopped getting so tied up in stupid paper work stuff that I would wake up at night because I forgot something. In short, I started caring a lot less. Then my bosses called me on it.

I somehow have to find a balance between working to death and not working at all. This seems like a difficult task to me. Does that indicate anything about my personality to you?

Last night I got to see Sarah. It was great. We had some beers and looked at pictures of her being incredibly dirty living in the wilderness.

Tonight: The final debates. Come over, I'll make you popcorn. mmm...popcorn. I really want to leave to go to lunch.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I somehow have to find a balance between working to death and not working at all."

hey lady, working till 5:30 and taking a half hour lunch is actually that balance. It's a shame your higher ups obviously have no idea what they're asking of you.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home