I'm working for an organization affiliated with Johns Hopkins University and Hospital that organizes public health awareness and treatment for women and families in developing countries. I find it is a whole lot more fulfilling to do photo copying when you know that the information is being used to write a proposal to do good in the world.
This little non-profit went through a lot of funding difficulties recently. They formerly used only government funding from places like USAID, but now are starting something entirely new. as of JULY 1, more than 30% of employees in this office were layed off due to lack of funding, and a new division began: "Global Business Development and Communications."
This made me ask the question: What does business have to do with Public Health in developing nations?
In an effort to increase their funding this little non-profit has started to stretch out their arms to global corporations like coca cola and other corporations that have invested interest in developing countries. It all makes me a little uneasy, but I have to say I'm glad there is some organization saying "hey, since you are going to suck the life out of this little nation, why don't you help us keep the children healthy for your factories?" it's a little scary. NIKE's interest in Vaccinations and lower HIV/AIDS numbers may be a direct result of the necessity of these developing countries to reduce the cost of labor, increase productivity, and increase profit. Which is, of course, a pretty scary thing.
what happens to a world when we start looking at people as machine parts or "markets"?
how does a non-profit organization start to form a relationship, or even talk to companies who think like this??
I guess I'll find out if I hang out here long enough.
This is the most interested I have been in anything in quite some time. My brain has yet to turn to mush today. Ahhhhh!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home